Simple Whole Grain, Spelt & Banana Muffins (or banana bread)



In my freezer I always have bananas. The kids always love them, or hate them. I buy ten pounds, no one eats them. I buy one, and naturally, they fight over them. I love having them around anyway. 


Years ago I started freezing extras, I just peel them and tuck them into a freezer bag. I think over ripe bananas from the freezer make for excellent meals in between shopping. I plan around making banana bread and raw kefir smoothies. They're so cheap, and they are a nutritious way to sweeten foods naturally. 


This is my favorite recipe for healthy banana breads. It's easy to mix up, and soak overnight even. I have "tea loaf" sized bread pans that I use most often. Sometimes the kids like muffins as a treat with preserves. 


Simple Whole Grain, Spelt & Banana Muffins (or banana bread)

Yields, 20 Muffins (or 2 loaves)

3 Cups, Spelt or Whole Wheat Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon 
1/2 Teaspoon Salt 

5 Bananas (Thawed if previously frozen)
1/3 Cup Butter or Coconut Oil, Melted
1/2 Cup Honey
4 Eggs 

Preheat Oven to 375 °F 
In the bowl of a mixer, soften and mash bananas together. Add butter, honey and eggs, just to combine. Add all remaining ingredients and blend. 

Allow batter to rest at least 20 minutes or 6 to 8 hours. Pour into greased, or lined pans. 

Muffins bake for around 18 minutes. 
Tea Loaves, approximately 45 minutes.

I use shower caps to cover soaking grains.

Note: Often we mix this recipe by hand, frozen bananas mash easy with a fork. Fresh bananas we sometimes smoosh with a potato masher. It's pretty casual eating because I have to make a lot in bulk. Lumpy banana bread isn't the end of the world. 



GLUTEN FREE ! I make with a flour blend combo of buckwheat, oat, chia and flax.

Comments

Popular Posts