Epic Whole Grain Oatmeal Cookies


Next, I'm sharing a cookie recipe. Well, not "a cookie recipe" it's THE cookie recipe I make most often because it's "healthy." This cookie is packed with organic local grains,- oats, whole wheat and a touch of rye.- Also. REAL butter. Real sugar. The result is a wicked tasty, chewy cookie.- I've experimented with nourishing sweeteners for this recipe and I've had mixed successes. You can absolutely play around with the ratios,but  keep in mind the dark brown sugar in particular makes for the chew and rich flavor. 

As a kid, these always had walnuts and chocolate chips. - Personally I hate walnuts and my oldest is highly allergic. I do love pecans! But he's allergic to those too...-  These have dark chocolate m&Ms and butterscotch morsels. Plus Sea Salt. I like to add extra sprinkles of salt on some of the cookies. - I really love salt in a fierce way. 


Epic Chewy Oatmeal Cookies 
  • 8 Ounces, or 1/2 cup Butter (Salted) 
  • 3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar 
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar 
  • 2 Eggs
  • 3/4 Cup Sifted Wheat, or Fresh Milled Hard White Wheat *
  • 1/2 Cup Whole Grain Flour - Wheat, spelt, Kamut or Fresh Milled Hard Red Wheat *
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda 
  • 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 3 Cups Oats 
  •  2 Cups of candy, chocolate chips , nuts or fruit - You can use nuts and fruit for a wholesome breakfast cookie, or of course use your favorite indulgences for a treat. - 
  1. In a large bowl, beat together your butter and sugar. I use a stand mixer for cookies but a spoon and some elbow grease will do the trick also. You want your butter and sugar to get a little creamy. Then add the eggs and whip it together more. 
  2. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the oats and mixins. Combine into a batter. Add oats. Combine again. Add the mixins. Mix to combine. 
  3. Rest the dough at least 15 minutes before baking. (Or freezing in an airtight bag)
  4. Scoop out about 2 heaping Tablespoon portions onto a cookie sheet. I use silicone baking mats, but an ungreased sheet is fine as well.  
  5. Bake for about 20 minutes, for small tablespoon cookies it's about 12 minutes. They are done when you see the tops begin to crackle and the bottoms get somewhat brown. 
  6.  Cool on the tray for a few minutes and enjoy! 

Note: The flour in this recipe can be switched around, about 3/4 all purpose to 1/2 Cup Whole wheat makes for a pretty commercial cookie. I commonly bake from my prepared pantry, I store organic white and red wheat. Fresh flour can absorb a lot more moisture, so I add a splash of cream or whole milk when I use fresh milled grain for this recipe.


For Jumbo Farmers market style cookies, double scoop your cookies, six per tray. - 

Once you dough has rested a little, it can be portioned into dough balls, and frozen for convenience cookies! Just bake them straight from the freezer. - 350°F - 24 minutes+ when your baking frozen cookies. 

Comments

Popular Posts